« Home | Enough » 

Friday, November 05, 2004 

Elections and the Pronoun "We"

Another election over and done with. I don't think it was much of a surprise for anyone. We all knew in our heart of our hearts that King George II would continue his reign and that's why the whole world was meddling into the American elections. I had my doubts about Kerry anyway. With the whole world against Bush and Bush's popularity eroding day by day with every new fiasco in Iraq and he STILL couldn't pull off a majority win? He wasn't the right man for the job...just a different man. The Democrats really need to take the next 4 years and find themselves someone capable of pulling in those extra 500,000 votes by 2008.

Since I live in Greece now, other issues bubble to the surface which I would have been oblivious to if I still lived in North America. One of them being the immigrants' perspective of themselves and America.

I was listening to a Greek morning news talk show yesterday and the hosts were talking to two "Greek Americans" who had voted in the elections. They referred to themselves as "we Greeks" and Americans as 'them'. I have no problems with immigrants retaining cultural pride but if you identify yourself more strongly with your birth country or your parents' birth country and not the country where you work, live and pay your taxes then you need to rethink why you're even there in the first place. Live in the country you love, use the pronoun 'we' and vote in those elections.

By the time I get the chance to vote here, I will definitely be more cautious when using the pronouns "we" and "them" when it's my turn to scratch my X on a ballot form. At that point, if I still don't consider myself to be part of the "we" then maybe it's best I don't vote at all.